Thursday, February 21, 2008

Whitewashed

One of my post-show rituals is to re-paint my studio. It gets pretty dirty as the year goes on, and this is kind of a cleansing for me, a tabula rasa, so to speak.



That's about all i have done in there lately. I have been getting ready to stretch some new canvases and start up all over again, but this is my downtime after all that stress. I have also caught this monster flu that my darling boy brought home with him and left me bedridden for two days. Not pretty, let me tell you.

Whenever people come to my studio for the first time, they are always drawn to my bulletin board, which i have covered with all sorts of inspirational material and ideas over the years. There are ideas for things that i have been meaning to get around to for a long time. It's sort of a cross section of my head at different times....





There is a story behind every picture here. I will select but one and tell you about it. Here is one, a terrible image of it, but you can get the idea....




Pardon the paint splatters on it. It's a photo i took of a lily pond years ago. It's without a doubt the best photo i have ever taken. It has in this simple photo all the qualities that i strive to put into my paintings. One simple photo taken on a cheap disposable camera, and yet it succeeds where so many paintings i have labored over for months fail. One of these days i will get a better image of it up here, and you will see what i mean. By the way, here is a fun trivia game. See if you can name two of the famous painters i have represented on my bulletin board. There are at least six visible ones in the two photos above. No prizes, sorry.

8 comments:

Eero said...

I was impressed by how minimal your studio was---only the essential gear in there. My studio is FULL of crap. But then, I do work in several mediums...

E.

Anonymous said...

Winslow Homer and John Singer Sargent.
And Joe Shlichta, of course (eventually).

yer sister

bugheart said...

suzy got
the only 2 i knew.
she probably
knew all six.
i love the
look of
whitewashed walls.
it's probably because
i have lived with
a modern
architect
for too long.

f. pea said...

hm... looks like some hosukai and some renoir in there.

joe shlichta said...

some are:
Pierre Bonnard, George Frederick Watts, Winslow Homer, John Singer Sargent, Hokusai, and Ross Bleckner.

johnny said...

WELL HOKUSAI, of course, and is that Carl whats-his-face? (swedish painter)?-the kids with lanterns...... ,and the guy from ohio who carved the bee-guy, yeah..okay...hmmmm

bugheart said...

carl larsson.
is it?

Eero said...

Hey there,
long time no post??

So, how many paintings did you sell from your show, total?

E.