Thursday, July 3, 2008

early stages

For those of you who don't know, my painting process is a slow one. It takes me about a year to produce a full show. I work on many paintings simultaneously, letting one layer dry while i work on another. They can often have innumerable layers, bearing absolutely no resemblance to what they started as. It is a bit of a mystery, and not the most effective process, but it seems to work for me. These vary in size, which i will note later, and i will come up with a system of numbering them so you can see them develop. My computer keeps crashing on me, so i have to work quickly before it does so again.

These following pieces are all in their first or second layer. There are about 18 new canvases that i have prepared. Not all of them will become a complete painting. I have no idea what i am doing with any of them. Basically, i just start painting with colors that strike me at the time, and see where it leads.









We will see where it goes from here. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

DoublyHelical said...

oranges and blues and purples... I'm diggin' it. love this window into your process from a continent away- keep going, bro.

brew

Eero said...

Whoa....that is the exact opposite of the way I work. I plan out each painting in a sketch. If I need to make a change, I make more sketches before I commit anything on the actual work.
E.