Sunday, September 14, 2008

Alden Mason

I have recently discovered the work of a painter i am awestruck by. His name is Alden Mason, and he is a local guy, who must be in his eighties now. He shows at a local gallery occasionally. Not so wild about his more recent work, but i discovered some of the paintings he did in the seventies, of which are a few examples here...












You have to see these in person to really appreciate them. They are fairly large, about the size of some of my bigger pieces. They are beautiful. Stunning. He simply and seemingly effortlessly captured some of the exact things i have been struggling to achieve in my own work. And my favorite one is not pictured here. It's very humbling to see something done in your lifetime that can only be described as a masterpiece. I can only hope i could do the same someday.

No comments: